The Clifton Observatory is the small tower on the left hand side which was originally a windmill built in 1766 to grind snuff. Unfortunately a few years later it was damaged in a gale and caught fire and then lay derelict until 1828 when it was refurbished to accommodate a camera obscura which is still there today.
This image is a signed limited edition image by Steve Townsend and is available for sale at the studio. The edition run is limited to just 95. This shot is the combination of 15 shots captured to increase resolution and dynamic range. The view of the Clifton Suspension Bridge majestically spanning the Gorge, shows the city of Bristol beyond and the River Avon used to gain access to the city from the Bristol Channel to the Docks.
On the right side of the panorama photograph, south of the Avon Gorge is Leigh Woods which has been designated a National Nature Reserve.